My granddaughter is lactose intolerant. It means supplements taken before eating dairy, or buying special products for her that generally cost way more then they should. Either way, she tends to miss out on some things that a lot of other kids take for granted, like fudgesicles. We whipped up a batch of these one morning and they turned out great. They make a great afterschool snack, especially when it’s 100f+ outside and you walked home!
- 1 large ripe (but not over ripe) banana
- 1 to 1 1/2c milk (we used soy, Silk)
- 2 TBSP strawberry or chocolate milk drink mix (we used chocolate, Nesqik)
- Immersion blender & a tall pitcher with liquid measures on it
- Popsicle mold (we got ours at the 99c store, it holds 16 fluid ounces)
- 1 Easy for a child to use pouring container, such as a plastic measuring jug
- 1 cute but annoying child who asks to make popsicles every 5 minutes (optional)
- Break the banana up into a few pieces and put it in the pitcher along with the milk drink mix and 1 cup of the milk. Blend until smooth. Check the measurements and add enough additional milk to make the mixture equal 2 cups (16 fluid ounces). Blend for a few seconds more to incorporate the additional milk.
- Pour the mixture into the easy for a child to use pouring container. Give the pouring container to the over excited child and let her fill the popsicle mold ALMOST to the top, or all the way to the top and and spill some while she grins and says sorry like a cartoon monkey.
- Place the tops on the popsicles, wipe off any spillage from the tops and/or sides of the mold.
- Put the popsicles in the freezer for 4 to 6 hours.
To get a popsicle out of the mold just run it under warm water, then be sure to immediately hand the popsicle to the cute but annoying child who is bouncing up and down next to you.
We filled the popsicle mold up with water and then dumped it into a measuring jug so we knew how much mixture we needed. If your mold is a lot bigger, you’ll need to adjust the recipe. I suggest 1/2 a large banana, 1/2 a cup of milk and 1 TBSP of drink mix for every 8 fluid ounces, just as a rough guide.
- Looks good enough to eat!
- Can I eat it yet?
- OMG brain freeze!