I know just about everyone likes sandwiches, Brits, however, love them. In stores, you are spoilt for choice when it comes to premade sandwich fillings. We used to buy this filling before we moved to the US, it’s one of my husband’s favorites. It’s an odd combination of very strong flavors that I didn’t think I would care for it, but I find a thin layer on some buttered soft bread is a nice change from my usual sandwiches.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 8 oz extra-sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 2 large carrots, finely shredded
- 1/2 a large red onion, finely shredded
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayo, salt, and pepper. Stir in the cheese, carrot, and onion until coated and well mixed. Taste and correct the seasoning, if needed.
- Serve immediately, or cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Stir well each time before serving.
- Serve on any type of sandwich bread or roll, although a soft bread spread with butter is recommended.
Makes 5 Servings
- I highly recommend a >Borner Roko Cutter Powerline< it’s one of my favorite kitchen tools. I use it to make hashbrowns, grate vegetables for slaws and this sandwich filling. It also shreds things like apples without loosing all the water in them. If you don’t have anything like this, you can use a standard box grater or food processor. Be sure to squeeze excess moisture from the carrots after shredded, but not the onion.