The last few times I’ve ordered fried rice from a restaurant it has not only been really expensive, it’s not been very good. My version of this takeout classic is quick, easy, cheap to make and a little bit healthier than your average bear fried rice. I use a “layering” method with no faffing around taking things in and out of the pan. It’s perfect for those nights you want something quick but homemade and don’t really feel like cooking a big meal. Also, if you are not a fan of brown rice, eating it this way might just change your mind.
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 thick cut strips of bacon, sliced into batons
- 3 green onions, sliced fine (green & white parts, separated)
- 1 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 2c cooked brown basmati rice, cold from the fridge
- 1c frozen mixed vegetables, cooked and chilled
- 4 eggs, beaten smooth
- 2 TBSP low soy sauce
- kosher salt & ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a thick 12″ frying pan over medium-high heat, OR a wok over high heat.
Once hot, add the oil and bacon pieces.
- Fry the bacon pieces, stirring often, until just starting to brown.
- As soon as the bacon starts to go brown, add the white parts of the sliced green onions, garlic, ginger and mixed vegetables. Cook stirring constantly until the vegetables are heated through.
- Add the cold cooked rice. Breakup and toss the rice gently until it is very hot and shiny.
- Divide the rice mixture in half (see pics below notes), making a cleared strip through the middle of the pan and pour in the eggs.
- Run a wooden spoon or heat-proof spatula through them as they cook (make scrambled eggs). When the eggs are mostly cooked soft but still a little runny, start tossing them with the rice.
- When the egg is distributed evenly throughout the rice, turn off the heat and drizzle over the soy sauce.
- Sprinkle over the green part of the sliced green onion. Toss gently to combine. Taste, then season with salt & pepper as desired.
- Serve immediately – Cool leftovers to just warm before refrigerating.
Makes 2 Generous Main Dish Servings OR 4 Side Dish Servings
- This recipe is perfect for using up leftover rice and vegetables, or make a little extra and save for making this recipe later in the week.
- You could buy pre-cooked brown basmati rice, I’ve done it before. You don’t have to chill it, just use it straight from the packet and follow the recipe as written.