Remember the post about Roasted Strawberries and using them to make cocktails? This is the cocktail I was making with them! If you aren’t a gin drinker you could try this with Bourbon… I never have, but the classic smash is made with it and it sounds like it would be good in this version too.
I like Bourbon too, but not as much as gin. Ever since I started drinking cocktails, gin has always been one of my favorite spirits. A well made, extra Dirty Martini in a classic Martini glass? Come on, even if you don’t like Martinis, admit it, you love the way they look! Even so, the Martini is not my most favorite gin drink.
This new Fizzy Gin Smash is edging it’s way in there as a new favorite but I still think a gin & tonic with extra lime is very refreshing and a great drink to have just before dinner, and a Tom Collins is like a dessert drink. Not a WITH dessert drink, an AS dessert drink. Seriously, load mine up with fruit and I’ll skip cake. Ok, Ok, I won’t skip cake… I’ll eat it later when I’m drunk.
- 2 or 3 ice cubes, crushed
- 3 or 4 mint leaves
- 2 basil leaves
- 1 lime quarter
- 1 TBSP syrup from Roasted Strawberries
- 1 ounce of gin
- 2 roasted strawberries
- An ounce or two of of tonic water
- Extra ice cubes, mint, basil & lime slices (optional)
- Put the crushed ice, mint & basil leaves, lime quarter (squeeze the juice in first), the syrup and the gin into a shaker or strong container with a tight lid
- Shake it like crazy for at least 10 seconds
- Strain into a serving glass
- Add a few roasted strawberries
- Top off with a few ounces of tonic and stir gently
- Garnish with extra ice, mint, basil and lime
Makes 1 Serving
- After you finish your drink, eat the strawberries… they are sooo good soaked in gin!
- I bought a dollar store plastic cocktail shaker that I use over and over. I just hand wash it and it seems to stay pretty new looking with no cracks or deep scratches.
- If you have no fresh limes or mint, or basil, just put a roasted strawberry in your mouth and drink the gin strait from the bottle. I’m kidding! Or am I? I am actually. But if you are out of the other fresh ingredients, try using a shot of margarita mix… OK, I wasn’t kidding, you should totally try that strait from the bottle thing… with or without the strawberries.