IMO quiche makes a great anytime meal. In the UK it’s considered a BBQ side dish, in the US it’s considered breakfast/Brunch food. In my house (half US & half UK) we eat it for any meal we want… but mostly as a light supper with a green salad tossed in a tangy vinaigrette. The leftovers are nice cold too, as a snack or for lunch.
- Single crust pie dough
- 9″ loose bottom tart pan (see notes)
- 1/2c grated cheese
- 2 sliced green onions (white & green parts)
- 12 cherry tomatoes, sliced into thirds
- 2 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- A few pinches of kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1c (8 fl oz) heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350f.
- Roll your dough to an 1/8″ thick, line the bottom of a 9″ loose bottom tart pan.
- Be sure to press the crust in firmly, especially into the ridges in the sides. Then trim off any excess so you have no overhang.
- Place the tart pan on a baking sheet (I like to use a pizza pan instead).
- Sprinkle half the cheese evenly over the base of the crust, then add the onions, sliced tomatoes and bacon. Taking care to distribute them evenly over the cheese sprinkled base.
- Season with salt & pepper (lightly, you can add more later when you’re eating it!) then sprinkle over the rest of the cheese.
- In a large measuring jug or hand blender beaker, whisk or blend the eggs and cream until completely smooth with no stray “eggy bits” floating around.
- Pour the egg and cream mixture over the tart fillings SLOWLY and carefully, taking care not to disturb the fillings to much.
- Bake on the tray in the center of the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until just set.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes before slicing. Remove from pan to a serving plate or cutting board.
Makes 4 Servings (4 Polite servings or 2 Greedy servings!)
- You could make this in a non-loose bottom tart pan, cool longer and serve from the pan.