These granola “cookie bars” are great for breakfast or snacking, with milk or tea as a chaser. They are pretty filling too! I really pack these with add-ins, but you could change just a few things if you wanted a more serious granola bar (see notes).
- 2c old fashion rolled oats (not quick or instant)
- 1c crispy rice cereal
- 1/2c all-purpose flour
- 1/2c whole wheat flour
- 1/2c packed brown sugar
- 1/2c wheat germ
- 1c craisins
- 1c slivered almonds
- 1c white chocolate chips
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2c butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2c honey
- 2 eggs
- canola oil for greasing
- Preheat oven to 350f and line a 9×13″ baking pan with parchment paper, rub a little oil over the paper.
- In a large mixing bow, gently stir together the oats, flours, wheat germ, cinnamon and salt.
- Melt the butter in a large measuring jug, whisk in the sugar, honey, vanilla and eggs.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and stir with a wooden spoon, until the dry ingredients are well coated. Cover and leave at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Stir, then fold in the rice cereal, craisins, almonds and chocolate chips.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking pan, press and smooth with wet fingers until you have an even layer.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the center is lightly browned (the edges will be a darker than the center).
- Let the cool in the pan for 10 minutes, before transferring (parchment and all) to a wire rack.
- Cool completely before cutting, cut into 24 squares.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week, or wrap individually (as long as it’s airtight).
Makes 2 Dozen Squares
- Use different kinds of nuts, dried fruit or chocolate chips for this recipe.
- Half the nuts, fruit and chips.
- Leave out some of the add-ins (like the chocolate chips).
- Substitute half the butter for unsweetened applesauce.
- Replace the rice cereal with another cup of oats.